Tuesday, July 12, 2011

New York Clerk Resigns Post - Refuses To Grant Same-Sex Couples Marriage Licenses

     New York State clerk Laura Fotusky of Barker, has resigned from her post as town clerk so that she would not have to sign marriage licenses to gay and lesbian couples. As she told Politico,
“I would be compromising my moral conscience by participating in licensing same-sex couples...I had to choose between my job and my god.” 
 Her full resignation letter reads, 
To the Town of Barker Board, Supervisor Dilworth, Attorney Lewis and the Town Residents,"

“I have been in contact with Jason McGuire from New Yorkers for Constitutional Freedoms, our Town Attorney, Richard Lewis, and a Constitutional Lawyer regarding the Marriage Equality Act that was passed June 24, 2011.  There was no protection provided in the legislation for Town Clerks who are unable to sign these marriage licenses due to personal religious convictions, even though our US Constitution supports freedom of religion.”

“I believe that there is a higher law than the law of the land. It is the law of God in the Bible.  In Acts 5:29, it states, ‘We ought to obey God rather than men.’”

“The Bible clearly teaches that God created marriage between male and female as a divine gift that preserves families and cultures. Since I love and follow Him, I cannot put my signature on something that is against God.  Deuteronomy 10:12 says, ‘…What does the Lord your God ask of you but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in all His ways, to love Him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and soul, and to observe the Lord’s commands and decrees that I am giving you today for your own good.’”

“I would be compromising my moral conscience if I participated in the licensing procedure. Therefore, I will be resigning as of July 21. I wanted you to know my position as I understand the marriage law goes into effect on July 24.”

“It has been a pleasure and privilege to serve the Town as Barker Town Clerk.”
     I have no sympathy for this woman for a few reasons. Not only is she a public servant who must serve ALL taxpayers, and not just the ones she wants, but as a town clerk, she was already violating her religious beliefs and her God by granting marriage licenses period. The God of the Christian Bible does not approve of remarriage after a divorce, interfaith marriages, and non-religious marriages...yet was she complaining when she had to grant marriage licenses to these couples? Not at all...her objection is therefore nothing more than either opportunistic and/or based upon prejudices against same-sex couples. I think that the latter is the more likely scenario.

      Additionally, when will those in the Religious Right realize that there is a fundamental difference between RELIGIOUS marriage and CIVIL marriage. For some bizarre reason, they still think that they are one and the same.

2 comments:

  1. If she won't do one of her routine job tasks, I'm glad she quit.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails